1. Which academic stream in my XII standard (or equivalent) should I have studied in to be eligible for the UCEED examination?
Students from any academic stream (e.g. science, arts & humanities, commerce etc.) in their XII standard (or equivalent), are eligible to apply for UCEED.
2. Are there any books that I can study to prepare for UCEED?
UCEED is a design aptitude test. Aptitude tests assume that individuals have inherent strengths and weaknesses, and are naturally inclined toward success or failure in certain areas based on their inherent characteristics. Except for the syllabi section 'Environmental and social awareness' which will test your general awareness in the topics outlined under it, the remaining five sections will test your aptitude. Consequently there are no text or reference books that we can recommend.
3. My birth date is only a few days/weeks/months/years short of the age eligibility criteria. Can you make an exemption for me?
4. I passed my XII standard in 2016 (or earlier). Can you make an exemption for me?
5. How is that students from all academic streams are eligible to apply for UCEED?
Design is an interdisciplinary activity. Holistic design considers the sciences, arts, technology, economics, media, policy, society and culture. Successful designers have backgrounds in the arts, sciences and the humanities. However do note that candidates from the Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as subjects are eligible to apply to B.Des atall the three institutes while candidates from any other stream (Science without Maths or Physics or Chemistry, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible to apply to only IIT Bombay and IIITDM Jabalpur.
6. Many design aptitude exams that I know of, test drawing skills. How will drawing skills be tested in an objective type examination like UCEED?
While drawing skills can demonstrate a person's visualization skills, there are equally effective or better ways to test such skills through objective measures. Besides, we recognise that many students may not have had drawing skills training in their 10+2 schooling, and therefore UCEED will not put them at a disadvantage.
7. Why is UCEED not held in my city? Can you have a center in my city?
Conducting a national level exam is a massive exercise. The UCEED 2018 Committee carefully considered all logistical and operational factors, including information based on UCEED 2015, 2016 & 2017 applicants, before deciding on the 20 cities where UCEED 2018 will be held. For further details click here.
8. I appeared for UCEED 2017 but did not qualify. Can I appear for UCEED 2018?
Yes you can, provided you meet the age and year of passing qualification certificate criteria as mentioned here. However do note that a candidate can attempt UCEED for a maximum of two times only and that too in consecutive years, and that the UCEED score is valid only for admissions in the corresponding academic year.
9. What will be the format of the UCEED question paper?
For detailed information about the question paper click here.
10. Will there be negative marking?
Only Section C of the question paper has negative marking. For further details click here.
11. I made a mistake while filling up the application form. What should I do?
Send an email to email@example.com with details related to your application (registration number, candidate name, and mobile phone number) and describing clearly the nature of the mistake. Where possible we will rectify the mistake, or advise you on what to do next. However do note that it will entirely be the responsibility of the candidate to provide the correct information regarding the category, the qualifying examination (XII Class or equivalent), and the date of birth in the application form.
12. I filled up the application form, but I was unable to complete the fee payment successfully. What should I do?
There could be several reasons for this, including, but not limited to slow internet speed leading to time-outs, bad connection to the payment gateway, conflicting browser settings or browser compatibility. When a payment error occurs, and you are unable to go back to retry payment, make sure you are using the recommended browsers and versions, clear your browser cookies and cache or try using a different browser altogether.
If the problem persists, you can either call us at the contact numbers given in website, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details related to your application (registration number, candidate name and mobile phone number) and describing clearly the nature of the problem. All the problems related to the payment for each and every candidate will be sorted out before the last date of application submission.
13. Besides the photo & signature, what other documents should I upload at the time of applying for UCEED?
For complete details of documents required for UCEED application click here.
14. I am an OBC candidate. Can I apply under the OBC category?
There is NO reservation under the OBC category. ONLY OBC candidates with the NCL (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate can apply under the OBC-NCL category (Refer to point 15 below). OBC candidates WITHOUT the NCL certificate must apply under the OPEN category.
15. What are the validity requirements for the OBC-NCL certificate?
The OBC-NCL certificate must be issued on or after April 1, 2017 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India. However UCEED qualified candidates when they apply for for B.Des admissions in June 2018, must submit an updated OBC-NCL certificate that is issued on or after April 1, 2018 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India. Visit www.ncbc.nic.in for the latest guidelines and updates of the Central List of State-wise OBCs.
16. I cannot get the valid OBC-NCL certificate before the application deadline. Can I upload my OBC certificate instead?
No. Applications under the OBC-NCL category without the valid certificate will be rejected, just as any other application under their respective reserved categories will be rejected without the valid certificate.
17. I am studying XII Class under the National Open School or as a Private Candidate under State Board. Where should I get the Annexure 1 certified?
Candidates who will be appearing for their Class XII (or equivalent) in 2018 under the the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) should get the Annexure 1 certified from the Regional NIOS Board Office or the Regional State Education Board Office.
18. I do not have a birth certificate for proof of date of birth. What should I do?
If you do not have a birth certificate you can upload copy of passport, or copy of Aadhaar Card or copy of X class marksheet/school leaving certificate showing your date of birth.